If you’re interested in some recent VLM posts…
As we’ve said here in recent days, things are pretty quiet in the Leaf part of the hockey world, but there is always something to debate, right?
Viewing the current NHL playoffs reminds us just how hard it is to advance to the finals—something our Maple Leafs haven’t quite been able to do since, let’s say it again, 1967. Some of the teams that we see as being most “talented” on paper—Vancouver, Detroit, San Jose, Boston and Chicago (that list includes the two most recent Stanley Cup champions)—are out of the picture already. It’s tough, and it nudges us to reflect on just how far the Leafs will have to come to really be in that “league”.
So, with that reality check in mind, let’s open this forum to think on some questions that the Leafs will face this summer.
Where do you stand on the following?
- If the Leafs solve only one major “problem area” this summer, which one does it have to be—goaltending, a stud defenseman or a front-line centre?
- If it’s a goalie, which goaltender does Burke absolutely have to get his hands on?
- Which contract or contracts must the Leafs move one way or another to clear up cap space—Komisarek, Connolly, Lombardi, McArthur? Someone else…?
- Is Schenn a piece you have to keep, or is now the time to move him when his value is still there?
- Since the Habs are plucking Rick Dudley from our management staff, is there a solid personnel guy out there you’d love to see Burke hire to replace Dudley?
A bonus question: while it is not required (though compensation was often paid in the past when executives moved while under contract), should the Leafs be compensated by Montreal for the loss of Dudley?
And if you're following the Marlies, which prospect should be given every chance to make the Leafs this coming October?
I look forward to hearing your views.